Statement nails are one of the most attention-grabbing accessories this season and one manicure that’s come full-circle is the half-moon manicure. This style first became popular in the 1940s and has most recently been on the Fall 2009 runways at Christian Dior, Ruffian and Thakoon. Burlesque beauty Dita Von Teese has been flashing her lunar nails for years.
Best described as a reverse French manicure, the half-moon manicure is surprisingly easy to replicate on your own as long as you have the right tools. To prep, you need strong nails. I regularly use a nail strengthener because frequent abuse of nail polish and remover makes my nails weak. One of my favourites right now is Sally Hansen’s Quick Care Pen Strength Treatment, which is easily applied with it’s click-and-brush pen. You can have a painted half-moon or not, but if you want the full effect I’d go for the former. Beige and bordeaux were paired at Ruffian; white and navy at Thakoon and cream and purple at Dior.
I chose white and a deep metallic blue with Sally Hansen’s Insta-Dri Fast Dry Nail Colours in Whirlwind White and Blazing Blue. After painting my entire nail white I used Nailene’s Perfect Tips & Toes French Polish Guides adhesive stickers to make a perfect half-moon while painting on the blue polish. And voila! — the perfect half-moon manicure. Although it did take some time and patience, the end result is well worth it — just think of how great it will look while lifting a glass during the holiday party season!
Here is what I used to create a half-moon manicure:
- Sally Hansen Quick Care Pen Strength Treatment, $9.95 at select drug stores and mass retailers
- Nailene Perfect Tips & Toes French Polish Guides, $2.99 at Shopper’s Drug Mart
- Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Fast Dry Nail Colour in Whirlwind White and Blazing Blue, $5.95 at select drug stores and mass retailers
Here are some other colour combinations inspired by the Fall runways:
- Revlon Nail Enamel in No Shrinking Violet with Sheer Petal, $5.50 at select drug stores and mass retailers
- Essie Nail Color in A-List with Not Just A Pretty Face, $9.99 at select salons
- Maybelline Salon Expert Nail Colour in Hot Pink with Eternal Snow, $5.49 at select drug stores
— Jodi Goulart